Buffalo Bulletin bloggers

The Bulletin staff sound off on local issues, pop culture, and everything else under the sun. Read posts by staffers and write comments of your own.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

My mind expanded...

I just returned from a business meeting in Yankton, S.D. Through my travels there, and I may say it is not an easy place to get to, I started noticing something. Orange. Orange everywhere. I don't mean, a little bit of orange. I mean, literally, orange everywhere. My South Dakota upbringing came rushing back. It had to be the start of the all-important Pheasant hunting season.

My first thought was, oh no...I hope I can get a hotel room. My second thought was - oh please, please let me be able to get a hotel room.

For those of you who have never been to South Dakota during bird season, it may be hard for me to describe to you the enthusiasm in which hunters take to flushing out the South Dakota state bird. It is a frenzy all to it's own. One that is repeated each year for generations after generations and young and old citizens alike of the great Rushmore/Sunshine/Great Faces, Great Places/"Fill in superlative here" State. It truly is a sight to behold. Click on the title of this blog and read for yourself.

I am not a big hunter. See, I'm familiar with shotguns and while I have always purchased my conservation/hunting stamps I have never actually pointed a shotgun in the direction of a live breathing and flying creature. One, I'm too scared and two...well, let's be honest here, I just don't like getting up that early in the morning.

Which brings me to Mitchell, S.D. - home to not only the world's only corn palace (don't laugh if you've never seen it. It is rather cool) but home now to Cabela's - The World's Foremost Outfitter. Believe it or not, I have never set foot inside this particular store before this day.

I now know how men must feel when dragged by their beloved into a woman's shoe store. I was overwhelmed and completely out of my element. I wandered for awhile and watched as hundreds of men and a few women search for treasures to buy. It truly was surreal.

I bought a t-shirt and some gloves and made my way out of this little piece of outdoors heaven and continued on my way - all the while glad I had made this detour. I'd like to say I took a little bit of understanding of the passion of bird hunting with me on the way out but....that would be a lie. I just don't have the full appreciation of that store. Now shoes on the other hand....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you spent enough time in Cabela's as they are really starting to cater the female gender with almost every product they carry. Another nice thing about Cabela's is the folks who started it Jim, Dick, and Mary Cabela are the most down to earth nicest people you would ever want to meet. They also pride their company in having the best customer service in any business.

November 7, 2008 at 3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home