Buffalo Bulletin bloggers

The Bulletin staff sound off on local issues, pop culture, and everything else under the sun. Read posts by staffers and write comments of your own.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

High school eating habits

In a retrospective way, it was both amusing and disconcerting to watch Buffalo High School students gorge themselves at Homecoming. In a Monday night competition on the high school football field, the kids scarfed down exotic combinations such as barbecue sauce and Skittles or mayo and chocolate chips (although one student balked at eating this latter mix). It was unnerving because I remember when I could eat anything at any time and actually wonder why I didn't gain weight. (OK, I really didn't wonder anything, I was a teenager.) The joys of a young person's metabolism are to be relished while they last. So, high schoolers, wolf down those treats and fast-food meals. Then, hope that future innovators come up with tasty and satisfying new foods that don't clog the arteries or add to the waistline. Otherwise, you, too, will look back with fondness at a time when you could indulge at your leisure and know that your body would repel the calories.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true! And the worst part isn't the appreciation for their furnace-like metabolisms, it's the notion that some young women in particular still think they are overweight. If I had known at 18 how great my body looked and that it was never going to look that way again, I would have been wearing my bikini to church!
-Wyo Mom

October 7, 2008 at 6:57 AM  
Blogger Susan Yager said...

Okay, I'm throwing up in my mouth a little bit imagining my mouth filled with mayo.

YUCK!

October 7, 2008 at 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home